A study conducted by Bausch & Lomb in August showed that many people were using strange lubricants rather than contact solution to keep their lenses moist. Products including baby oil, beer, coke, petroleum jelly, fruit juices, butter as well as others were all listed as substitutions that were used, by 20% of the two thousand adults polled in the survey conducted in the UK.
An even larger number of those surveyed reported that they use saliva when putting lenses in their eyes. Considering that the typical adult mouth contains 500 to 650 different types of microorganisms, this can pose a serious health risk to your eyes. Moreover, many individuals believe that water from a tap or bottle is a safe alternative for lens solution, although even pure bottled water or distilled water can contain parasites that can damage the eye and have been linked to Acanthamoeba keratitis, a sight-threatening corneal infection. In fact, if water enters your eyes from a pool, ocean or even a bath while your contacts are in, it's a good idea to take out your lenses as soon as you can and thoroughly rinse them to rinse away any microorganisms that may have stuck to them.
The only liquid that should be used to wash, cleanse, moisten or soak your contacts is proper contact solution. It's dangerous to keep your lenses in water! Storing your contact lenses in water does not disinfect them and harmful bacteria can multiply on your lenses in minutes and enter your eyes once you put them in. In addition, contact solution is made to compliment the saltiness of the tear film in your eyes and water on the other hand can cause a reaction which makes your contacts change shape or stick causing discomfort and blurred vision.
At times that you know that you do not have the means to properly disinfect your contact lenses, consider using one-use lenses as opposed to lenses that you reuse. Be sure to think about lifestyle when you are choosing which type of contacts to purchase.
Remember failure to properly care for your lenses with approved lens solution can result in permanent damage to the eyes or even complete vision loss.